GOLDENWOOD PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION
JUNE 14, 2005
I. CALL MEETING TO ORDER
Andrew Backus, Vice President, called the annual property owners meeting to order at 7:20 pm.
II. CERTIFY QUORUM
Richard Poe, Secretary, certified quorum: 38 lots represented of 71 that were eligible to vote.
Andrew Backus, Vice President, introduced Trustees/Officers and Architectural Protective Committee members.
IV. SUMMARY OF MINUTES FROM 2004 ANNUAL MEETING
Richard Poe, Secretary, reviewed minutes from 2004 annual meeting, which were then accepted by voice vote of POA members.
V. TREASURERS REPORT
Jim McCune, Treasurer, reviewed FY 2004 treasurers report, which was accepted by voice vote of POA members.
VI. OLD BUSINESS
Oak Wilt: Andrew Backus Vice President, reviewed actions taken in response to oak wilt outbreak:
The Texas A&M web site has additional info on the disease at: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/county/smith/homegardens/hypoxylon.html
Estimates for clearing brush along sides of road- Andrew Backus did not obtain these estimates last year but will obtain them this year. County personnel have stated that if brush is cleared back 4-feet from the edge of the road they will not vertically brush-hog the trees and shrubs which produces a highly unsightly appearance and leaves the trees and shrubs in a condition that makes them receptive to disease.
Sealing of pavement around mail station- Kevin Griffin did not obtain estimates but will during the next year for placing asphalt sealer on pavement.
Mail station landscaping: Jim McCune reported that the plan to landscape the grassy island next to the mail station, agreed to at the 2004 annual meeting, will wait until fall, when it is cooler. He explained that soil has been spread in the area in preparation for the project.
VII. NEW BUSINESS
Treasurer compensation: Andrew Backus and Jim McCune discussed compensation for the Treasurers position due to the amount of time and effort the position requires. Andrew explained that POA board members are prohibited from accepting monetary compensation but an independent contractor could be an option. Jim explained that many POAs use professional management companies that charge $700/month or more, however, that option is unaffordable for Goldenwood. Jim estimated a minimum of $1,200/year to pay for the service if the POA chose to contract with an independent provider. A motion was made to allocate $2,000 for one year to compensate the current duties of the Treasurer. Action: GPOA board will arrange for a one year contract with an independent party to provide the current Treasurers duties to GPOA: will be reviewed at the 2006 GPOA annual meeting.
Neighborhood news: Andrew Backus reported on the following topics:
Neighborhood Watch: Andrew Backus reported that Goldenwood can re-join the Neighborhood Watch program, if there is sufficient interest, and asked those interested to contact him for details. Julie McKeon volunteered to research this and report to the board. Andrew Backus will provide her with the most recent contact info he has from the sheriffs department.
Community proposal: Laurie Baxter passed out a handout and encouraged interested residents to use the existing community bulletin board on the GPOA web site to find out about neighborhood events/activities. Discussed that the mail station bulletin board should be restricted to neighborhood news rather than non-neighborhood advertisements, and postings include name, phone number, date posted and be limited to a half-page to save space.
Recycle bin: Jim McCune proposed that a bin be located at the mail station to recycle junk mail. A motion was made to look into cost feasibility and passed by voice vote. Action: board will look into the proposal. Kevin Griffin offered to locate a 40 yard dumpster at his house that community members could use for a small fee. He also said he is able to get quality wood chips for landscaping/gardening and asked that those interested contact him for details.
Deer control: Andrew Backus proposed having Texas Parks and Wildlife take an inventory of the deer population in Goldenwood in order to consider reducing the deer numbers. A motion was made to request the inventory and passed by voice vote. Action: Andrew will contact TPW and arrange and report back to board.
Thanks to Party planners: Jim McCune thanked those who helped with this years neighborhood party, which was a success.
VIII. ELECTION OF TRUSTEES: Andrew Backus: no action necessary, as no board member terms have expired this year.
IX. ADJOURN: meeting was adjourned at 9:20.